Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Maya Angelou’s 10 Most Beautiful Quotes

Today literature lost one of its most powerful and beautiful voices when Maya Angelou passed away at age 86.

A celebrated writer, Tony Award-winning actress, grammy nominated musician and professional dancer, Angelou died at home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

The recipient of over 30 honorary doctorates, Angelou was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'fore I Diiie (1971) and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011. Her first book, the memoir I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, was nominated for the National Book Award in 1969 and has since frequently been among the American Library Association’s most banned and challenged books.

While the whole world grieves at the loss of this important and splendid voice, we thought to attempt to find the very best of the quotes attributed to her. It was as difficult a task as it was subjective. It will surprise no one at all to read that we could have listed the best 100 and still not have scratched the surface.


1. “Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances. ”

2. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.”

3. “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”

4. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”

5. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”

6. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”

7. “Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”

8. “Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art.”

9. “Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”

10. “I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.